Wednesday, July 29, 2009

life is good - diy burlap book rack

kimba is hosting another great diy party

ASPTL


DIY Day @ ASPTL


edited to read: i'm also linked up with gina at the shabby chic cottage for transformation thursday

yes, i'm still playing with burlap. in fact, there's only a few yards left on my bolt.

sooooooooo - i've been wanting one of those wall book racks like they sell at pottery barn. here's one hanging in my grandson's nursery, at his mommy & daddy's house. whoops! when i hit publish, it wouldn't accept the photo. anyway, it's white, it hangs on the wall, books sit behind dowels, get the picture? without a picture?
i want one of those for my house, for the grandkid's room.

& last week, i showed you this-



it's a cd holder that corrie (my daughter) found at goodwill. she thought it could be used for books, but i didn't think the little ones could keep them on the shelves.

but if it had something to hold the books. hmmmmmm? burlap, perhaps.

sooooooooo - i took the cd holder & my burlap & started working.

i asked my dear husband, shelly, to use the liquid sander/deglosser on it & then he sprayed on some white primer (true confession time: after last week's dresser, i can't bear the thought of spray painting. i have very little cartilage in my right wrist & the spray painting hurts! i'm gonna stick to the roller & brush from now on. but my can of primer was missing (i think my son "borrowed" it. how do you borrow paint?)

so anyway, shelly spray painted on the primer & then i used CRAFT PAINT IN THE LITTLE BOTTLES. i mixed 2 colors together to get the blue that i ended up with. 1 coat of blue & then "distressed" it with a combo of burnt sienna & ivory. all with the little sponge brushes.


i had been "stewing" about the burlap part of it for a couple of weeks.

by the way, have you all read that crazy blog about quotation marks? it's cracking me up! it's called "the blog of unnecessary quotation marks". find it here: www.unneccesaryquotes.com
i have this great fear that i'm gonna end up on there d/t excessive "quotation mark" usage. (and, if there's a blog for unnecessary or excessive parenthesis usage, i'm really in trouble!)


back to the burlap, i'm not a seamstress, engineer (though i am married to one) or mathematician, just so you know. figuring out how to make the pouches for the books was NOT easy, because i'm not good at exact & precise measurements. so, i made a pocket at the top & a pocket at the bottom. in between, i wove the burlap in between the dowels to create pouches.


as a result, you need to load it with books from the top to the bottom. if you do it from the bottom first, then all the burlap slides to the bottom making the other pouches disappear.

i know.

good luck getting a 4 1/2 yr. old, an 18 month old, a 13 month old & an 8 month to follow those directions.

as if.

as if they would ever reload the book rack. kids take them out, grandmas put them back, right?

oh my goodness, i just had a light bulb moment. i'll use velcro to hold the pouches into place (do you think that'll work?).

here's how it looks in the room:




thanks for stopping by, & make sure you look at everyone else's projects at kimba's

DIY Day @ ASPTL


that's where i'm heading -

don't forget to leave comments -

don't forget to thank kimba for being such a gracious hostess - (sure wish she'd serve refreshments)

& stop by to see the others from gina's transformation thursday, too!

blessings & peace -

randee

44 comments:

Amanda @ Serenity Now said...

That is SO cute!!! I'm getting ready to head over to Kimba's to link up myself. :) It's funny you should mention burlap b/c I just started my first burlap project today! ;) Thanks for coming by to visit today!

Unknown said...

Really Cute. Like REALLY CUTE!!

XOXO

Jennifer Juniper said...

Huh...I feel so dumb to have never thought of this. It's brilliant!

Sara said...

So stinkin' cute and a really clever idea!

Twila Bird said...

Love it! So cute - gotta love burlap!

Amy said...

Holy Moley, Batman! That took some amazing foresight to see that CD holder as that gorgeous book holder!

Amazing job! I'm truly impressed!!

Trudi said...

Really cute, I must get some burlap!

Hattie said...

What an amazing idea! I'm a school librarian so it really makes me happy. I also think the blue was a great choice. Creating something beachy and bookish is the best!

Enchantresses Three said...

Wow!!!! Love what you did, it looks amazing!

Richella Parham said...

Okay, this is amazing. I am amazed--really--at what you saw in that old rack. It looks so cute! Great job!

Fawn said...

Love the burlap! What a great idea... I saw one of these at goodwill the other day, now I wish I had grabbed it! Next time!

Traci@ Beneath My Heart said...

I think you are ingenious! I would have never thought of that! Great use of burlap, and the paint treatment is perfect.
I know the grandkids will love it.
Blessings,
Traci

Chris said...

No way! That is absolutely adorable. What a genius idea! It looks so cute.

Gina said...

I love this! What a great project-I could totally use one of these in my school room!

And I love the blog about unnecessary quotes too-it cracks me up!

Maya said...

Such a neat idea! Very creative. Love your header.

Linds said...

WHOLLY WOWNESS! I LOVE DIY DAY!

Amy@TheLemonCottage said...

OMG, I am seriously taking my cd rack out of the garage sale pile right now. That is just brilliant...mind if I borrow the project idea? You are so creative!
~Amy

Jill@Barnes Yard said...

Totally adorable! Love it!

Kammy said...

Very creative, you rock ! Love the color of blue and that texture of burlap, great job !
Hugs ~ Kammy

Laurel @ Ducks in a Row said...

So clever of you - great way to use burlap. I love it.

Michelle said...

I've been wanting a shelf like this for a long time now. I'll have to keep my eye out for one of these shelves! I've eyed them before along with quilt racks, thinking there's got to be a way. You rock!

Ms. Tee said...

Hi there - I'm visiting from Kimba's. This is just adorable and brilliant. I love it!

Delightful Dwelling said...

That's so cute, I love the color of paint you used too. Very pretty.

Candace said...

How creative. I love it! Hmmmm, I think I will be on the prowl for one of those thingys now.

Kelly said...

Brilliant and beautiful! Ingenious...

Beth@The Stories of A to Z said...

What a cute idea! Love this. Thanks for sharing it with us and here's hoping your grandbabies learn to put their books away :). Blessings!

Anonymous said...

Brilliant! I love this so much. It is adorable. I think burlap is great to work with. Cheap (my middle name) and lots of texture. Great job.

trish said...

Oh my goodness, that is so cute!

Unknown said...

Clever and cute! Just what it needed!

Sandy and Joe/rhubarb reign said...

Wow! That turned out really cute, and it looks very functional. RE: spraying paint, you can get a trigger attachment for a couple of dollars at Wal-Mart or the hardward (it looks like a black plastic handle) that just clips on to the can. It makes spraying MUCH more comfortable. If you need more info on that, just let me know! xo

GratefulPrayerThankfulHeart said...

Hi Randee! Just stopping by for the first time ~ what a sweet place you have here with lots of creative ideas! Nice getting to know you a bit!
Kindly, ldh
ps I like your sense of humor especially with the phone company :)

Unknown said...

Very clever! You did an awesome job!

Nancy

Decor To Adore said...

"OH MY GOODNESS!", she said. "I love it!" :)

Unknown said...

What a great idea (no quotation mark.) Yes, peel and stick velcro would be great below the dowel and it would be hidden on the inside too. I'm sure that there will be lots of Goodwill searching going on looking for similar cd racks to rehab.

Heather at Happy Chippy Junk said...

You left a comment on my blog but you didn't enter the giveaway! Enter!

Richella Parham said...

Woo hoo! I've already left one comment about this; I just came back to say congratulations! You've gotta be proud to have won! Good for you!

sarah may said...

I can't believe you turned that tacky cd shelf into something so cute! I want one!!!!

Free Art Printables said...

I love that! You did an awesome job! Jen

Amanda said...

So clever! I love those book cases from PB, but this is so much better!

Karen said...

I can't believe I am seeing this this morning. Last night I was wandering around Big Lots and saw a bookholder very similiar to yours minus the burlap (they used some sort of canvas) and your pretty painted wood. I thought it would be nice for my granddaughter's books and told my husband he could surely make one. I really like your creative use of the CD holder and am now going to try to make one myself. How very creative! Thanks for sharing! Karen

Mandy Mae said...

That is just about the most awesome thing I've ever seen (even if you do have to load it in a special order!)

Great job!!!

Connie from Beverly Hills California said...

I luv it!! Great idea. Have a wonderful weekend. Connie

LauraBo said...

cute idea, I love recycling ideas or trash to treasure

Melany @ Project Anthologies said...

Oh - that is so cute! I see those CD racks a lot at Goodwill, etc. Now - I just may need to grab one! I never have enough book spots in the kids' rooms! Thank you and congrats on your win. ;)